Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Who says you can't go home??

 Loving the train park

 Saying hi to the swans at the grotto

 Picnic with Grandma Deanie
 Walking to the fair

I like to wrap up summer by taking the kids to Algona for the week to give them a chance to get spoiled rotten by Grandma Deanie and Pepeka and to also do the things that I used to love doing when I was growing up.  We went to the library and the kids got library cards, played at the Seton Train Park, went to the pool, roasted marshmallows, visited the Grotto, attempted to go to the fair a day early (oops).  But my favorite memory?  All the Mayers and the Keiths came over one night and we froze 102 quarts of sweet corn.  Norah was an awesome helper, and even Finn was in the mix at one point, helping to cool the corn in tubs of water. There was just something about my kids among all my cousins, uncles, aunts and grandpa, doing the work that my family has done for years.  It made me feel like I was giving them something bigger - a piece of my family history, and a part of what made me who I am.  I doubt they saw it like that at all, and will probably miss that point entirely when talking about their trip to Algona.  But for me, that's what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment